Union County parks follow statewide guidelines for preventing COVID-19; social distance is required and masks are strongly recommended.
Beginning on June 22, Union County will lift certain restrictions on the use of County parks during the COVID-19 outbreak. The updated rules of use are in accordance with statewide guidelines issued by the New Jersey Department of Health.
“Masks and social distance are the only effective tools we have for stopping the spread of COVID-19, so we strongly urge visitors to continue to observe precautions against infection while enjoying outdoor activities in County parks,” said Freeholder Chairman Alexander Mirabella.
Social distancing, wearing face masks, washing hands frequently, and keeping hands away from face are among the basic precautions for preventing COVID-19 and other infections. Persons who feel sick should stay away from others.
The following rules apply to activities in Union County parks during the COVID-19 outbreak.
- Trail biking: Trail biking is prohibited in all Union County parks. Trail biking was prohibited before the COVID-19 outbreak, and it continues to be prohibited. Bicycles are permitted only on paved paths in Union County parks.
- Closed: Shared recreation equipment, certain playgrounds (see list below for playgrounds that have reopened), workout stations, and fitness equipment. The Warinanco Sports Center and the Trailside Nature and Science Center also remain closed. The Walter E. Ulrich swimming pool is under construction and remains closed. Watchung Stable remains closed to the general public and is currently assessing plans for the summer. Basketball courts are available only for non-contact drills as of June 22, consistent with rules for similar sports.
- Reopened with adjustments:Golf courses, archery range, tennis courts, dog parks.
- Picnic areas: Reservations begin July 1. As of July 1 the maximum number of people allowed per reservation will be 250 if the COVID-19 outbreak in New Jersey continues to trend down. The limit will rise to 500 on July 3.
- Limited use of athletic fields: As of June 22, use of County athletic fields for team sporting events, including inter-team games, scrimmages, and tournaments, is permitted only for low risk, non-contact sports.
- Parks that have playground(s) that are now reopened:
- Cedar Brook, Conant, Echo Lake, Esposito, Green Brook, John Russell, Wheeler, Lighting Brook, Loop Playground, Madison Avenue, Mattano, Mohawk, Mohawk, Nomahegan, Phil Rizzuto, Ponderosa, Rahway, Rutgers Ave, Snyder, Unami, Warinanco, Wheeler
Low risk sports include archery, golf, and other events based exclusively on individual effort such as individual cycling swimming, rowing, diving, equestrian jumping or dressage, sailing, weightlifting, tennis, dance, pole vault, high jump, long jump, marathon, triathlon, cross country, track and field, disc golf, and badminton.
For medium and high risk contact sports, fields will open on June 22 but use will be limited to no-contact drills, practices, and simulations of game situations. No games, scrimmages or tournaments will be permitted for contact sports.
Medium risk contact sports include Lacrosse, hockey, multi-person rowing, multi-person kayaking, multi-person canoeing, water polo, swimming relays, fencing, cycling in a group, running in a close group, group sailing, volleyball, soccer, basketball, baseball/softball, short track.
High risk contact sports include rugby, boxing, judo, karate, taekwondo, wrestling, pair figure skating, football, group dance, group cheer.
Note: additional permissions for sports are anticipated in the coming weeks. Please be patient and help protect the Union County community as we re-open our parks under the guidance of public health professionals.
- Currently Allowed: Individual activities such as walking, jogging, biking and fishing are allowed. Bicycles are allowed on paved pathways only. No bicycles are allowed on unpaved paths and trails in Union County parks.
- Use of walking paths:Follow arrows to move counter-clockwise only. Slow users keep right; fast users pass on left. Give way to others to maintain six-foot distance when passing.
- Masks: Strongly recommended.
- Parking and hours of use: Union County Parks are open dawn to dusk only; no off-hours use permitted. Drivers must observe parking rules.
- Report abuse of social distance guidelines to Union County Police: 908-654-9800.
For maps, directions, and more information about activities in Union County parks, visit online at ucnj.org/parks, email firstname.lastname@example.org, or call 908-527-4900.
Park visitors please note: Stay on marked trails in order to preserve fragile native habitat in County parks. The taking of plants and other wildlife is prohibited. Share paved paths by keeping to the right unless passing others. Bicycles are permitted only on paved paths. Dogs must be kept on leash. All trash must be carried out where receptacles are full or unavailable.
For more information and updates on all Union County services during the COVID-19 outbreak, including guidance for the Test Center, visit ucnj.org/coronavirus-update.
For general information about COVID-19 and phone contacts for 24/7 assistance with questions, visit the New Jersey Department of Health at nj.gov/health.
Baseball, Fishing, Soccer, Softball
329 N 15th St, Kenilworth, NJ 07033
Fishing, FItness Trail, Ice Skating
Briant Park Dr, Springfield Township, NJ 07081
Baseball, Basketball, Cricket, Fishing, Fitness Trail, Handball, Picnic Area (Reservable), Playground, Restrooms, Soccer, Softball, Spray Pool, Tennis Courts
Park Drive Plainfield, NJ 07060
Plainfield, South Plainfield
Dog Park, September 11th Memorial, Fishing, Fitness Trail, Ice Skating, Pedal Boats, Picnic Area (Reservable), Playground, Restrooms, Sledding, Snack Bar, Soccer, Softball
Park Drive, Mountainside, NJ 07101
Chatfield/Zimmerman Hillside and Union Township Baseball, Softball Map 1137-1167 Morris Avenue Union, NJ 07083
Lightning Brook Hillside and Union Baseball, Fishing, Playground Map 1137-1167 Morris Avenue Union, NJ 07083
Pruden/Pearl Oval Elizabeth Soccer Map 162-202 South Pearl Street Elizabeth, NJ 07201
Salem/Rutgers/Liberty Hillside and Union Twp. Soccer Map 525 Rutgers Avenue Hillside, NJ 07205
Woodruff/Conant Street Hillside and Union Twp. Fitness Trail, Playground, Restrooms, Soccer, Softball, Wi-Fi Map 361 Conant Street Hillside, NJ 07205
Ursino Hillside and Union Twp. Trail near River Map 574-592 Lakeview Drive Hillside, NJ 07205
Baseball, playground, Soccer, Skate Park
629-641 Madison Hill Road Clark, NJ 07066
Baseball, Basketball, Fishing, Picnic Area (Non-Reservable), Playground, Soccer
90 Clinton Ave, Plainfield, NJ 07063
Plainfield, North Plainfield
Bicycle Path, Baseball, Soccer, Softball
490 David Terrace, Union, NJ 07083
Fitness Trails, Bicycle Path
130 Kenilworth Boulevard Cranford, NJ 07016
Cranford, Kenilworth, Springfield, Union, Westfield
Baseball, Playground, Restrooms, Soccer
1136-1300 Madison Avenue Rahway, NJ 07065
Baseball, Soccer, Softball, Skate Park, Wi-Fi
430 5th Avenue Elizabeth, NJ 07206
Canoeing, Kayaking, Fishing
122 Eastman Street Cranford, NJ 07016
Bicycle Path, Fishing, Fitness Trail
677 Madison Avenue Rahway, NJ 07065
Bicycle Path, Fitness Trail, Restrooms, Softball, Soccer, Wi-Fi
995 Springfield Avenue Cranford, NJ 07016
Walking Paths, Fitness Trails, Archery Range
Map, 5-K Certification
201 Oak Ridge Road Clark, NJ 07066
Canoeing, Kayaking, Fishing, Nature Trails, Soccer
Section 1 Map, Section 2 Map
44-48 New Providence Avenue Summit, NJ 07901
Berkeley Heights, New Providence, Summit
Canoeing, Kayaking, Picnic Area
30 Mount Vernon Avenue Summit, NJ 07901
Athletic Fields and Sprayground
240 Snyder Ave, Berkeley Heights NJ 07922
Picnic Area, Playground, Restrooms, Soccer, Water-Spray Playground, two reservable picnic areas, Wi-Fi
1532-1578 Cooper Road Scotch Plains, NJ 07076
Fitness Trail, Non-Reservable Picnic Area, Playground, Restroom, Soccer, Spray Pool, Wi-Fi
599 Morris Avenue Elizabeth, NJ 07208
Baseball, Softball, Swimming Pool, Playground, Picnic, Running Track, Football, Soccer
Parkway Drive, Rahway, NJ
Osceola Section Clark, Linden Fishing Map
Bloodgood Pond Clark Canoeing, Kayaking, Fishing
Jackson’s Pond Clark Canoeing, Kayaking, Fishing
Sperry Pond Cranford Basketball, Bicycle Path, Fishing, Ice Skating Map 4 Riverside Drive Cranford, NJ 07016
Squires Island Rahway Fishing Map
Baseball, Fishing, Fitness Trail, Running Track, Soccer, Softball
18 Morris Avenue Springfield Township, NJ 07081
Baseball, Basketball, Picnic Area (Reservable), Playground, Restrooms, Soccer, Softball, Tennis Courts
423 South Union Avenue Cranford, NJ 07016
Cranford, Garwood, Westfield
Baseball, Basketball, Bicycle Path, Lit Clay Courts, Cricket, Fishing, Fitness Trail, Handball, Horseshoes, Ice Skating Rink, Pedal Boats, Picnic Area (Reservable), Playground, Restrooms, Running Track, Shuffleboard, Snack Bar, Soccer, Softball, Spray Pool, Tennis Courts, Wi-Fi at Rink and Boathouse
Warinanco Park Roadway Roselle, NJ 07203
Bridle Trails, Canoeing/Kayaking at Lake Surprise, Cross-Country Skiing, Fishing, Trailside Nature and Science Center, Nature Trails, Organized Scout Camping Area, Picnic Area (Reservable), Playground, Restrooms, Snack Bar, Watchung Stables, Wi-fi at Trailside
West R Tracy Drive Mountainside, NJ 07092
Berkeley Heights, Mountainside, Scotch Plains, Springfield, Watchung
John Russell Wheeler Memorial Pool, Non-Reservable Picnic Area, Playground, Restrooms, Snack Bar, Skate Park, Soccer, Softball, Wi-fi at Pool
117-299 West Stimpson Avenue Linden, NJ 07036